Trinity Church Trinity Church
 Home |  Serving Schedule |  Calendar |  Lectionary |  Christian Education |  History |  Links   Contact Us 
Trinity Church
Trinity Episcopal Church
Fillmore, CA
Home 
Serving Schedule 
Lectionary 
Calendar 

Christian Education 
History 
Contact Us 
History

Episcopalians have worshipped in Fillmore from its founding as a town in 1888, but the congregation was initially served by priests from Ventura. Services were held first in members' homes, then local businesses, and eventually in the present building, where we continue to meet today.

The church building was a gift to the Fillmore congregation from the family of Senator Thomas Bard in the early 1930's. Built in 1901, it was transported piece by piece from its original site in Port Hueneme and reassembled on its current site in 1933. This unique redwood building has been named a Ventura County Historical Society Landmark. For decades, locals affectionately have referred to it as "The Little Chocolate Church."

Trinity Episcopal Church has been a parish of the Diocese of Los Angeles for sixty years. Some significant dates in its history are shown below.

1890 - 1900
Mr. Ernest T. Brevetor is the first known Episcopalian baptized in Fillmore by the first recorded clergyman, the Rev. W. H. Marriot, from St. Paul’s, Santa Paula.

1913 - 1933
Services were held, at first without great regularity, but eventually on a monthly basis. Priests came from Santa Paula and celebrated in homes, the State Bank, and even in the lobby of the Fillmore Theatre.

1933
Mary Bard donated the redwood church as a gift to the community. Mr. and Mrs. Stevens donated the lot and the church was consecrated.

1936
Trinity Mission was established, November 1.

1950
Trinity Episcopal Church became a parish within the Diocese of Los Angeles.

1955
Our Sunday school was built as a memorial to J. Russell Flint




Our Clergy

The earliest services were held in Fillmore
by these Santa Paula based priests.
1892-1902 Rev. W. H. Marriott
1914 Rev. Charles Stanley Mook
1918 Rev. Douglas Atwill
1920 Rev. Walter Wood
1922-1925 Rev. W. E. Patrick
1925-1928 Rev. Lloyd Smith
1929-1935 Rev. Charles Macdougall
1936 Rev. Reginald Hammond,
 Ventura Rural Dean

Vicars of Trinity Mission
1936-1939 Rev. Addis Drake
1940-1947 Rev. Gerard Gardner
1947-1950 Rev. Dr. John Kuhns

Rectors of Trinity Parish
1950-1954 Rev. Dr. John Kuhns
1954-1961 Rev. H. Russell Roberts
1961-1968 Rev. F. Kenneth Barta
1968-1972 Rev. Gordon Yeaton
1972-1979 Rev. John Erickson, Priest-in-charge
1979-1983 Rev. John Erickson
1983-1990 Rev. Rand Reasoner
1990-1995 Rev. Robert Brown
1995-2000 Rev. William Ellington
2000-2002 Rev. Jennifer Beale Gamara
2002-2006 Rev. Pat Bennett
2006-2008 Rev. Julie Morris, Priest-in-charge
2008-2010 Rev. Julie Morris
2010 Rev. Hank Mitchel, Priest-in-charge
2010-  Rev. Lawrence M. Brown



Our Clergy

The earliest services were held in Fillmore
by these Santa Paula based priests.
1892-1902 Rev. W. H. Marriott
1914 Rev. Charles Stanley Mook
1918 Rev. Douglas Atwill
1920 Rev. Walter Wood
1922-1925 Rev. W. E. Patrick
1925-1928 Rev. Lloyd Smith
1929-1935 Rev. Charles Macdougall
1936 Rev. Reginald Hammond,
 Ventura Rural Dean

Vicars of Trinity Mission
1936-1939 Rev. Addis Drake
1940-1947 Rev. Gerard Gardner
1947-1950 Rev. Dr. John Kuhns

Rectors of Trinity Parish
1950-1954 Rev. Dr. John Kuhns
1954-1961 Rev. H. Russell Roberts
1961-1968 Rev. F. Kenneth Barta
1968-1972 Rev. Gordon Yeaton
1972-1979 Rev. John Erickson, Priest-in-charge
1979-1983 Rev. John Erickson
1983-1990 Rev. Rand Reasoner
1990-1995 Rev. Robert Brown
1995-2000 Rev. William Ellington
2000-2002 Rev. Jennifer Beale Gamara
2002-2006 Rev. Pat Bennett
2006-2008 Rev. Julie Morris, Priest-in-charge
2008-2010 Rev. Julie Morris
2010 Rev. Hank Mitchel, Priest-in-charge
2010-  Rev. Lawrence M. Brown

TRINITY EPISCOPAL CHURCH
600 Saratoga St., Fillmore, CA 93016
(805) 524-1910
office@trinityfillmore.org
©2017 Trinity Church